BLUE Institute is dedicated to education and research for resilient oceans & water
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS “Words on Water” 2020
In honor of World Ocean’s Day 2020, the Blue Institute is proud to announce a Call for Submissions for “Words on Water,” a Poetry, Prose and Playwriting Competition with an “open-ended theme of water.”
With the ongoing COVID 19 crisis, the challenges for both children and adults,and in deference to teachers everywhere - we have extended and changed the Submission Deadlines.
* Adults Submission Deadline is now Friday, July 31st
Additionally, we have changed the K – 12 Submission due date to October 15th.
Both electronic and snail mail submissions will be accepted. A panel of jurors from the local, regional, and international writing-arts community will anonymously review and select the Finalists in each category.
· The Adult Finalists will be announced early August (more emails to follow), their works will be read/performed online late summer/early fall - the winners announced in late-October.
· The K-12 Finalists will be announced early November (more emails to follow), their works will be read/performed online in January/February with the winners announced in March 2021.
1) Writers may submit only one work in each category – use size 12 Times New Roman font, with
one- inch margins.
2) All work must be original, unpublished, and not previously produced.
3) All work must be appropriate for an audience of all ages.
4) Each submission must have a cover page with:
• Title of Work
• Author’s Full Name, mailing address, telephone number and email (if they have one)
• K-12 Students must also identify their school
5) Each submission may be a maximum of 9 pages plus a Cover Page.
6) Author’s name contact information and Title appears only on the Cover Page.
7) Poetry can be written in any poetic style.
8) Prose can be fiction or non-fiction.
9) Plays are limited to four characters or less – set is Black Box Theater Style only.
The Finalists & Winners will be read/performed as detailed above and their works may also be published on the Blue Institute’s Website, may be published in a Blue Institute World Oceans Day Anthology, and may be read/performed in the Blue Institute’s 2021 World Oceans Day Festival. Author’s retain all rights other than specified here.
PRIZES: First prize in each category and grouping is a $100 bookstore gift card, Second Prize in
each category and grouping is a $50 bookstore gift card.
DUE DATEs: Both electronic and snail mail are due for Adults by: July 31, 2020
Both electronic and snail mail are due for K-12 are due by October 15th, 2020
Submission Fee: Each Adult submission is a $10 suggested donation -
(Students in K-12 free – please identify your school)
• Online payment http://weblink.donorperfect.com/wordsonwater2020
• Postal Mail payment by Check or Money Order (Do Not Send Cash)
• Make Checks Payable to “Blue Institute at Cape Cod”
SUBMISSION METHOD: via email or postal mail. Email Submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal Mail to: Blue Institute, P.O. Box 333, Harwich Port, MA, 02646 USA
Office: +1 508.939.3435
BLUE Institute, Inc. is a Registered 501(c)(3), Charitable organization. Donations to the Blue Institute are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Copyright © 2016-2020 - All Rights Reserved